Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dada and the New Surrealists

This whole post refers to the first (digitally recorded) of many coincidences over the past few days and week.  All the details would be fairly boring to anyone but me and since I already know them all, I will spare ALL of you.  But so as not to be a telling jokes without punchlines - thank you, Mr. Kaufman - here are two highlights:

First, an amazing book that I am currently reading has revitalized my interest in "lit" as a whole, and not just because it could be construed as a large scale plot to make me feel better about smoking cigarettes and being rebellious.  Second, the fact that my first blog post was mentioned as cryptic (by the exact person, Rants and Giggles, who inadvertently helped me create this blog) and Dadaist at the exact moment that I am watching a movie about human misunderstanding, the humour that it causes, and how coincidences usually seem more meaningful when documented [though this is not confirmed at the "height of scholasticism," Wikipedia, or any other lesser psychological internet resource sites that I could find].  I should also mention that I impulse-rented the movie for no apparent reason based solely on the cover.  I consider that a victory for higher-level brain functions.

The movie was Being There and is totally amazing if you have the patience to sit through the introductory setup of a movie released in 1979.  They had car phones and television remotes back then!  I wouldn't have believed it without seeing it.  Plus there's an idiot-savant Peter Sellers, a simulated orgasm by Shirley MacLaine and several moments of hilarious racial humor by some random black lady.  HIGHly Recommended!


P.S. A character, who only the viewer knows to be a TV Addict, saying the line "I like to watch" in unrelated social situations has to be one of the better double-entendres that I have seen in a film in a while.

No comments: